Where Ladybugs Roar

Confessions and Passions of a Compulsive Writer

Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday- Movie Mad Lib

I'm in a bit of a rush today. I want to run out and buy some new running shoes. I've had my current pair for a few years, and I've run over a thousand miles on them... and they still eat my heels. I've earned a new pair of shoes.

So, last night, I was thinking about this whole strange relationship between writers/agents/publishers. It's strange to me because without writers... it doesn't happen, but the two other professions seem to be the ones that are respected. Whenever I'm in a bookstore or library, I'm astonished by the sheer number of books available--and each of them the product of this path from writer to publisher. Going through the process of querying is daunting and discouraging, and you feel a little like Oliver standing there with your bowl saying, "Please, Sir, I'd like some more." It seems like every day I stop and feel a little swamped with feelings of inadequacy. Am I really good enough? Why aren't they responding? What if I never get published?

Yesterday, I stumbled across a link in someone's blog... possibly Nathan's... about the process that Lord of the Flies went through in order to be published. I found it interesting that there isn't just a way paved in gold... even for literature destined to become a classic.

Anyway, I'm both discouraged and encouraged by the whole process today. When I read some agent's blogs or sites, I feel a little downtrodden for being just another unpublished writer who they can reject. That's not to say that agents aren't earning their keep and busy, but it just sucks being unable to make a living doing what you love when you have marketable talent... along with a million other people standing in line for their turn.

You're unique... just like everybody else.

Okay, so the movie is Ever After, and I've frankensteined it to reflect my feelings today:

"If you suffer your people to be educated, and their manners corrupted from infancy, and then punish them for those manuscripts to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded, sire, but that you first make writers and then punish them?"


I've also stolen a conversation from Ever After for your reading pleasure:

Danielle: The Prince has read my manuscript?
Henry: I found it sentimental and dull. Honestly, the plight of the everyday writer bores me.
Danielle: I... take it you do not converse with many writers.
Henry: Ha, certainly not, no. Naturally.
Danielle: [starts walking again] Forgive me, Your Highness, but there is nothing "natural" about it. A country's character is defined by its "everyday writers," as you call them. They are the legs you stand on and that position demands *respect,* not...
Henry: Am I to understand that you find me... arrogant?
Danielle: Well, you gave one writer a life, but did you even glance at the others?

4 comments:

  1. "Anyway, I'm both discouraged and encouraged by the whole process today. When I read some agent's blogs or sites, I feel a little downtrodden for being just another unpublished writer who they can reject."

    This pretty much echoes how I feel some days. We've just got to keep up a positive attitude and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a perfect Ever After conversation. Wendy you are so brilliant.

    Wendy, you know you have talent, right? You have talent. You can write. You aren't just writing, you can really write. How do I know when I haven't actually read any of your work? Because I can hear your voice in your bloggity blog blog, woman. That, combined with the fact that you finish books, means A LOT. It doesn't matter that you're "just another unpublished writer they can reject," it absolutely doesn't. You will be published if you keep writing, because you have that special something. So. Do like Disney (and sharks) and keep moving forward. If not you know what'll happen (at least to sharks).

    We are not twins when it comes to running. I only run after my kids. But I'm still looking forward to hearing all about your amazing, anti-heel rubbing running shoes. You certainly deserve them after over a thousand miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Diana, you are so sweet. This book I'm working on rewriting... the one about the agoraphobic... I think you'd really like it. I was thinking of emailing it to you after I'm done rewriting it. Would you be interested? The main characters are unique to this story, and I think any of the stories in the series can stand on their own. This one in particular has a lot to do with fairy tales, and that's why I keep thinking of you.

    I've got my new shoes on... breaking them in. I hope these clogs work. They're much stiffer than my previous shoes but that might be good. I hate breaking in shoes... and razors. It'd be nice if both of those came "relaxed" or something. I'm superstitious when it comes to running shoes. (Yes... it's odd.) I have a policy of sleeping in them the first night and biting each of the toes (to prevent them from biting me.) It's stunningly superstitious for someone with few "real" phobias. (I walk under ladders purely for aerobic exercise.) Anyway, this "charmed" theory failed me with my last shoes so I made sure I could return these if they didn't made the cut after my first run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL on your "relaxed" shoes and razors. I wish I could solve the razor problem altogether and somehow be hairless from the neck down.

    Wow, I'm impressed by your shoe-charming ritual. I'm superstitious but pretend that I'm not. I have-to, have-to, have-to put my right shoe on first, and start any walking I do with my right foot. Because it's putting my best foot forward. It's pretty ridiculous, to the point of some exaggerated antics to make this happen. Combine that with my steps needing to end in special numbers and my actions needing to end in those numbers and well, I have a lot to think about all day long.

    I would be very interested in reading your story about the agoraphobic. Please send it and I promise to treat it with tender care :)

    ReplyDelete